I am so happy you found our page for Journaling. This is where we are sharing our ideas for art and tips for having a journal, art journals, and prompts. I love to journal and make art journals. Do you?
You can be as creative as you like in your journals. Use them for healing, creating art, or just write in them. Use your journal to heal from loss, make gratitude journals, ideas, reminders, daily to-do lists, lists of paint colors and mixes, and so much more. I have worked in all types of journals and shared them on my previous site but, now I am adding helpful tips for you here.
Use a journal for healing
I started to journal after the loss of my mom. I would write out my feelings while pouring my heart out. Then create art covering the words up, on the pages. Her loss impacted a huge shift in my life. Reflection, rediscovery of what was important to me. How I was going to move forward while honoring her memory. It truly helped me heal from my personal loss. If you have suffered a loss, you should try journaling it’s really healing and helps.
How To Journal?
- Grab a notebook or journaling book (recommendations below).
- Decide what type of journaling you want to do.
- Writing, journaling for mental health, make art journals, daily therapy, using writing prompts (prompts at the bottom of the page)
- Decide on a daily time to take it out and work in your journal.
- Commit to the practice of journaling.
- Grow in different ways from how you use your journals.
Now, I enjoy using my journal for writing, art, and art exploration. Are you just getting started? We have tips for you and will be sharing lots more. I hope to inspire and help journalers of all levels. This post right below might help you if you are using yours to improve your art! If not skip to how to get started journaling and the other articles on the page!
10+ Simple Skills To Improve Your Art
I will be adding to this page all the time, so be sure to subscribe! Stay up to date and never miss out!
Feel free to use, share, and pin it (to find it for later) I just ask that you link back to this page or the direct posts, and not the PDF or free printable itself.
Get Started Journaling
New to journaling? Start with this post- Journaling Ideas and Tips. It goes over several types of journals you can make, resources, plus fun journal online classes.
Art And Journaling Ideas
(Post) Tips, ideas, what types of journaling there are… Resources for journaling. Where to find art journaling magazines. For instant download and in print. Plus other creative magazines to read and then use for Mixed Media journals. Perfect if you are beginning, brushing up or just looking for inspiration and ideas…
Benefits Of Journaling
The Benefits of Journaling plus journaling tips and journaling resources. Whether you are just getting started with journaling or opening up your journal again this post has some helpful tips and resources for journalers (and art journalers).
The Bright Book
Review and flip-through of The Bright Book
The Bright Book Review. We received The Bright Book for free. We shared a video flip-through of what you get in the journaling workbook. This is great for journaling, art journaling, and creativity… The Bright Book is available through our affiliates via Amazon and available at Target Visit the post to find out more or head over to purchase.
How do you keep up with journaling?
Just pick up your journal anytime you have a moment to spend on it. I keep my journal supplies (listed down further) in a basket. Or bag if I am on the go. Or set a time to spend an hour and play it’s all up to you. When you commit to something it takes about 2-weeks and then it naturally fits into your lifestyle. Before long you won’t think about it it will come naturally to you how to squeeze in the time to make it happen. I do share more tips right in the post below on how to make time for journaling and art journals.
Making Time For Journaling and Art Journals
How to Get More Creative Time In this post will help you sort out how to get your creative time when you are busy and find time for journaling. I share a few of my pages, and some art supplies we tried out.
Find happiness through journaling
Happy The Journal – A chance to write creativity into every day and let go of perfection. (Book)
Printable Journal Page With Prompts
Printable Journal Page With Prompts – 15 printable journaling ideas and prompts. Plus 15 more journaling prompts in the blog post! Get clarity, renew your focus, and shed any struggles you have had this year! Grab the free printable journal page and use it for adding to your daily journals… Refocus…
Have you ever tried painting in your journals?? In this post, we tried some new paintbrushes for our journals. You can see what we liked about the set, and all the pages we made in this post (painting in journals). Both Sammie, and I created painted journal pages. We love hanging out on a hot summer day journaling and drinking iced tea.
Are you looking for an easy way to journal morning pages? Grab a Free Printable Morning Page to color in, and journal on. Write down your thoughts, reasons you are grateful for a new day, or even use it to plan out your to-do list.
Brush Pen Lettering
Brush Pen Hand Lettering DIY you can learn and improve your writing for your journals or art journals.
Art journaling is about exploring art in your journals. This is a place to play experiment with techniques. Hone in on skills. Write and be visual, write, and cover up those feelings with paint. Heal from hurt and be able to move forward. You can use art journals to practice art techniques, art play, heal, or both.
It’s only for you to see unless you want to share them. You can sketch, draw with pens or felt tip pens, use paints or watercolors. Just be sure to grab a mixed media journal that has a heavier weight paper so your paint doesn’t bleed and crinkle the paper. Below are just a few examples I will be adding to.
Use an Art Journaling Magazineto get ideas, be inspired by other journalers and see how to make journal art.
Journal Gifts – Creative gift ideas for her. Bonus, free journal prompt, and journal project!
Ideas For Art Journaling
We love being inspired by others. Find Ideas For Art Journaling, inspiration, and why we love Art Journals.
How To Paint Peaches
- New here? Subscribe to my new YouTube Channel
Supplies Used in this tutorial
Art Journal Supplies and journaling supplies
- My favorite Mixed Media Journal
- Watercolor Pencils (12 ct) there are larger counts
- Derwent Paints (acrylics)
- Drawing Pencils
- Journaling cards
- Washi Tape (gold-assorted)
- Micron Pens
- Drawing Pencil Set (or) Drawing Pencil Set
- Art Journaling Magazine
Find out more about this online class that I took- Art Journaling Online Class with Dawn Devries Sokol (14-day trial)
I will be working on more videos this was one of my first start-to-finish journal page videos. Can you believe this is 8 years ago!!
- Subscribe to my new YouTube Channel!
How to Journaling
Samples of my art journaling I’ve shared in a slide show.
- This feels like a lifetime ago. When I first started blogging and healing with my journaling.
Free Journaling Prompts
- Your dreams
- Your thoughts
- Your favorite spring scents
- Your favorite sounds
- Your favorite spring flower in your spring garden or that you love
- Add this Proverb to your journal; While waiting for spring no matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow
- What you enjoy about blogging
- What you love about your blog
- Journal about an experience you had at the beach
- Journal things about nature you love
- Draw a sketch of something from the beach in your journal
- Draw some nature or glue some nature photos in your journal
- What fears do you want to conquer when creating art or in life?
- Write about pushing your creativity and experimenting
- Journal where you find your creative courage and who inspired you to be creative
- Journal about being in the moment when you are creating
- How does being in the moment while creating help you/ how do you feel when in that moment?
- Remember when you were a child and journal something about it
- What did being outdoors in nature mean to you when you were a child?
- What did it feel like to you when you played outdoors as a child?
- What causes regarding nature did you stand up for as a teen? and now?
- Journal about your fondest memories
- Write this quote by me in your journal “Listen to your heart, trust it and follow your dreams”~
- What exotic places would you like to travel to?
- What stories do you have of your travels?
- Journal about patience and understanding
- Journal about your roadblocks
- Journal about having patience with growth in your art
- What does freedom mean to you?
- Make a creative list
- What things do you want to change?
- Jot down a to-do list
- Write your creative / art goals
- Draw flowers in your journal
- Write about what you love about flowers
- Write what you love to garden or what plans for your garden (draw a plan/map)
- Does someone you know have a special flower? Every time you see it it reminds you of them? Write down your thoughts/ you can also draw, paste a photograph or add a dried flower to your journal about it.
- Write this Persian proverb: The world is a rose; smell it and pass it to your friends.
- Vintage loves – Collage vintage images to your journal page
- Add a vintage image of someone and write about them
- Tell us about all things vintage you love in a list
- Collage images of red, white and blue
- What does being American mean to you?
- Grab magazines and collage in your journal
- Add photographs to your journal and write about them.
- Do you have special memories from childhood? Write them down. Add a picture or drawing.
- “Wonder” print a picture or of something you wonder about and glue it in your journal and write about it (example)*a beekeeper with bees covering his whole body, how is this possible?
- Take a photograph of a child pondering something or of something that amazes you
- Make a list of things you have wondered about
- Draw a picture related to your summer travels, write about your travels
- Write about your summer in your journal
- Write about your favorite part of summer, how you feel about summer.
- Journal some things about when you were a child in summer
- Glue a picture of you as a child in summer in your journal
- “Peace Offering”
- Has “Peace Offering” had meaning in your life and how
- Use your journal to dump everything that is bothering you. Spill the words and cover them up with paint.
- Use your art journal for healing express how you feel with words, collage, paint
- Write down one thing that is hurting if you can get the words flowing. Leave it there or collage over it.
- Create art in your journal and just play
These are prompts I shared ages ago and thought if you are new to journaling it might help you get started.
- Journaling Ideas Pinterest
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Pin it for Later
- Don’t forget to subscribe